Monday 16 April 2012

N

N is for 'Nancy'.
Nancy Drew, who else!? The smart, intelligent, fantabulous young sleuth from River Heights; the epitome of modern girls. The champ driver, swimmer, actor of a girl that gave rise to one of the most widely sold Young Adult books. The hundreds of books, written by different people, were published under the common pseudonym of Carolyn Keene. Nancy, along with her friends Bess and George, sometimes her boyfriend Ned, nabs some pretty obnoxious criminals.
I spent some 3 - 4 years of middle school devouring these books one after another. And I think all little girls should have wonderful girl inspirations. And Nancy was one such... I loved her intelligence and her wavy blond hair; her powers of deduction and the blue convertible. Good days... simple days...



So far: Atticus, Beth, Cassius, Dumbledore, Estella, Francesca, Gandalf, Humbert, Ishmael, Jean-Baptiste, Kali, Long John Silver & Lisbeth, Miu

I'm writing every day of April for the A-to-Z April Blogging Challenge 2012. I'm writing of characters of fiction that are immortal and touch hundreds of lives everyday...

7 comments:

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I devoured Nancy Drew books when I was a young girl, too. But my daughter, who's now in her mid-thirties, could never get into them. She thought they were too "old-fashioned and corny." I guess the stories would have to be updated quite a bit for my granddaughters to have any interest in them. They're more interested in Harry Potter.

S. L. Hennessy said...

Nancy Drew is the reasons I'm a writer today. I read ALL the Nancy Drew books as a kid.

Udita Banerjee said...

@S.L: All of them!? Woah!
@Susan: I agree... I was in sixth grade when I read the first of Harry Potter and I pretty much stuck to them instead of anything else from the same genre. Kids these days are maturing much earlier and there seems to be a 'generation gap' in 5 years!

Mimi said...

me too. I will never forget the vicarious excitement I got from reading my first Nancy Drew book. I think I owned about 6 of them all together. I wanted to be a detective too.


Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

Udita Banerjee said...

@Mimi: I too have 6 or 7, the rest I read from the school library. They ha hoardes of them there :P

JoJo said...

I remember being so shocked to find out that there were multiple authors!!

Udita Banerjee said...

@JoJo: I looked that up when I wondered how one woman could've written so much; and then there are distinct differences in the style of writing. Obviously.