Thursday 18 April 2013

P... is for Portobello!


Portobello is the nearest beach from my place in Edinburgh. It is a medium stretch of mud+sand beach on the North Sea, where families and students throng in scores. The first time I went there was on impulse, V has grown up in Delhi, India and had never ever seen a beach before!
'Outrageous!' I said; 'that's 24 years of unacceptable existence!' and we jumped on a bus and were there in half an hour, on a very cold and windy day. He was very happy, obviously never having seen one before. I, however, was not as impressed... the water was too cold. Gah - I suppose you can't complain of that in Scotland.
Anyway, it's a pretty beach, and it's a nice Sunday afternoon picnic with the kids and dog kind of place...




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is part of the ongoing A-to-Z Challenge. Previously, AyeBerwickCramondDisabilityEdinburghForth BridgeGlasgowHamishIsle of SkyeJohn o' GroatsKirkLoch Lomond and LussMogwaiNecropolis, Old Man of Storr.

9 comments:

Deepa Iyer said...

Beautiful pictures! Although the word Portobello reminds of the Paulo Coelho novel :-)

Udita Banerjee said...

Thanks! It does, doesn't it!?
One of my friends said that the first picture should have been called the Witch of Portobello, hehe

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

I love the pictures. Beach pictures on a cold windy day are hauntingly beautiful.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I can imagine myself there, even though, I live light years away. :)

Udita Banerjee said...

@Talya: What an unusual name? What does it mean? Where are you from?

@Teresa: Thank you, that's the idea ;)

Sanderella said...

But you went, and it was great! Cute pictures!! I miss going to the beach...all through my young life I was a beach bum. I felt right at home there, love the ocean. Great post!! Hope you get to go back again soon!! Sandy at www.sandysandyerellas.blogspot.com

Udita Banerjee said...

@Sandy: Thank you! My childhood was spent in a small coastal town in East India, and we went to the beach almost every weekend.
And the water used to be lukewarm on the hot days and we used to play in the water all day long!

Paula said...

I love your pictures. I, too, love the beach. Although I live right in the center of the USA where there are NO beaches

Unknown said...

Looks like a fun day at the beach. I miss the Malaysian beaches that were so accessible when I lived there.

Look forward to the rest of your challenge posts!
Damyanti @Daily(w)rite
Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge
AZ blogs on Social Media